WNBA investigated alleged racist remarks at Sky-Fever game, says it cannot substantiate the claims
The WNBA says it cannot substantiate claims that racist fan behavior took place during a game in Indianapolis between the Chicago Sky and Indiana Fever earlier this month.
The league said its investigation included gathering information from fans, team and arena staff, as well as an “audio and video review of the game.”
“We appreciate the quick action by the league and the Indiana Fever to take this matter seriously and to investigate,” Chicago Sky CEO and President Adam Fox said in a statement. “This process demonstrates the league’s strong stance on stopping hate at all WNBA games and events, and we will continue to support those efforts.”
The WNBA, according to a person familiar with the investigation, was looking into claims that racist comments were directed toward Chicago’s Angel Reese by fans during the loss to WNBA rookie of the year Caitlin Clark and the Fever. Indiana won the game handily, 93-58.
Reese, who is Black, and Clark, who is White, were meeting for the seventh time in their ongoing — and much-talked-about — rivalry. Clark later said she did not hear any racist remarks during that game, but acknowledged that it was loud in Indiana’s arena throughout the game.
“It’s super loud in here, and though I didn’t hear anything, I think that’s why they’re doing the investigation,” Clark said earlier this month. “That’s why they’re looking into it. That doesn’t mean nothing happened, so I’ll just trust the league’s investigation, and I’m sure they’ll do the right thing.”
Both teams had previously issued statements supporting the investigation, as did the WNBA Players Association. The Sky were playing in Phoenix on Tuesday. The WNBPA did not issue any immediate comment after the league’s announcement.
“We appreciate the swift and thorough process undertaken by the WNBA to investigate these allegations, which were not substantiated,” Pacers Sports & Entertainment CEO Mel Raines said Tuesday in a statement distributed by the Fever. “At Gainbridge Fieldhouse, we are committed to providing the best possible basketball experience for players and fans where hate speech has absolutely no place. Indiana is home to the world’s greatest fans, and we look forward to an exciting season of Fever basketball.”
Reese was asked earlier this month if she was able to provide the WNBA with details about the incident. She did not offer specifics on if she had done so, saying “that’s not a me question.” She also did not reveal what type of comments were made, or any other specifics about what prompted the investigation.
But moments earlier, in that same availability with reporters, Reese said she was receiving widespread support from across the league because of the alleged incident.
“Obviously, there’s no place in this league for that,” Reese said at that time. “I think the WNBA and our team and our organization has done a great job supporting me. … Going through this whole process, if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.”
News
BREAKING: Caitlin Clark RETURNS After 5-Game Injury Absence — Viral Footage Shocks WNBA Fans Ahead of Paige Bueckers Showdown
She’s back. After five games sidelined with a groin injury, Caitlin Clark officially returned to Indiana Fever practice this week—and…
NEWS: Patrick Bet-David ERUPTS Over Brittney Griner’s Alleged Slur Against Caitlin Clark — “You Just Ended Your Own Career!”
Patrick Bet-David ERUPTS Over Brittney Griner’s Alleged Slur Against Caitlin Clark—Fans Demand Accountability as WNBA Faces Historic Scandal The world…
DiJonai Carrington Faces PERMANENT BAN After Brutal Attack on Caitlin Clark — Fans Demand Action as WNBA Faces Growing Pressure to Protect Its Star
A growing storm is brewing in the WNBA as Connecticut Sun guard DiJonai Carrington faces mounting criticism—and possible disciplinary action—after yet another controversial,…
Jesse Watters Leads Multi-Billion Dollar Blitz on Legacy Networks. CBS, ABC, and NBC are scrambling. FOX isn’t just coming for ratings—it’s coming for the future. In what industry insiders are calling “the most aggressive media blitz in a generation,” Fox News—spearheaded by prime-time powerhouse Jesse Watters—has launched a direct, multi-billion dollar offensive against the Big Three television titans: CBS, ABC, and NBC. What was once a ratings battle has escalated into an all-out media war, with Fox News targeting the foundation of its rivals’ dominance: their lucrative advertising strongholds and influence over American households. The goal? Redraw the media map—and take the crown for good
FOX NEWS DECLARES ALL-OUT WAR ON NETWORK RIVALS—Jesse Watters Leads Ruthless Campaign to Destroy CBS, ABC, and NBC’s Billion-Dollar Ad…
Sabrina Ionescu Is Going VIRAL For Saying THIS About Caitlin Clark Fever WNBA REFEREE NIGHTMARE!
The Moment Everyone Was Waiting For—And the One No One Expected It was a sellout crowd.A marquee matchup.And the league…
Angel Reese FURIOUS After Lebron James Said This About Caitlin Clark!
LeBron Didn’t Say Much—But It Was Enough to Break the Internet (Again) The tweet wasn’t long.It didn’t tag anyone.Just ten…
End of content
No more pages to load